Monday 21 January 2008

Rich text, poor text

I feel I have reached an important milestone in my emails: No longer will I make a conscious effort to send plain text emails. It's rich text (well, HTML to be picky) for me from now on.

I use Mac OS X, so I'm not too concerned about reading emails with potentially dangerous virus and trojan-laden payloads. (My spam traps are about 95% effective anyway.) Most of the mailing lists I subscribe to use HTML, and they're always much nicer to read in HTML than plain text

If Apple Mail had an option to always compose new emails in plain text (hint - it doesn't if you 'Mail Link to This Page' from Safari), and an option to prefer viewing plain text content I might have persevered a while longer.

Can anyone convince me as to why I should stick with plain text?

3 comments:

  1. I jumped ship to HTML a while ago. I haven't looked back. 34SP seem to filter out 95% of spam, the remaining 5% can be unsubscribed from (fairly sucessfully) and is not malicious anyway (job offers and Scotts of Stow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason for sticking with plain text that I can think of, is to ensure your email signatures aren't in a much larger font than the body of the message (like Neil's).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @chris: One checkbox later, all is well.

    ReplyDelete